I get to hear a lot of great stories in the gym. Walking alongside people as they make choices that will affect the rest of their lives is a powerful experience. At the beginning of every year many people take some extra time to reflect on what has happened and make some commitments for the future. Giri shared some stuff with me and he gave me permission to share a little bit with you guys.
There was a lot that didn’t go as planned in 2012 but as he reflected he found some things that were worth giving thanks for.
The good stuff –
1. I know what I am going to do for the rest of my life – eventually my purpose in life is going to be to make people’s lives better and healthier, physically and mentally. I don’t know how I am going to do it, but I will discover that path in the next couple of years
2. I am proud of the discipline and changes I have made to my lifestyle – no drinking, working, sleeping early (started now), waking up early, eating right, working out. I have done things I never thought I would ever do – like wake up at 5 AM everyday
3. I have read more books in the last 3 months than I have read in the last 3-5 years
4. I have got closer to my sister and other family, physically and emotionally
What I want to do better –
1. Get stronger and fitter physically – not just for myself but also to be an example for others
2. Start helping people in some way – training, volunteering, at work
3. Express more passion, emotion and energy – not just feel it but also show it
4. Have some fun – travel just a little, watch Paul Scholes play at Old Trafford!
I still don’t know how things are going to work out in 2013 – Ideally I should continue with my day job and get some stability financially. If work gets in the way of what I want to do, I might have to let it go and get back to India – which will be great anyway. All I know is that I am not scared anymore. I know I have the strength, determination and discipline to learn and practice, practice and practice and get better at what I am supposed to do.